Friday, May 22, 2015

UNDERGROUND RAILROAD TO CANDYLAND: DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM

Maybe I've lost track of how many times I've seen the Underground Railroad To Candyland, but I think that means that they've just become like one of those reflexive things you do to stay alive, like breathing, and not jumping off of cliffs, going outside to get vitamin D in the winter, feeding yourself. URTC fit into that category. Once in a while, about every three months I just need a big dose.

Something about the formula, Todd's voice, the always-shouted, always -DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM- with the guitar. Man, shit is just life-affirmingly approachable, fun as shit and has actual social commentary wrapped up in it.

I remember driving around South Dakota for work a couple years ago, right when their last record came out. I'd brought a copy along, and it turned what would've been kind of mundane drive through farmland, away from family and friends into a reminder of what's important in life.  I was able to picture a big crowd of folks pogoing around and having a blast while the band played and it lifted my spirits, and I think that's about the best thing you can do with a song sometime.

It turns out they've got a brand new record that's conveniently streaming here. I've been listening while I type this, and it's damned good. Not any major departure, just great songing from a great band.

No comments: